Torre Del Mangia (Picture 3)
Of all the buildings flanking the piazza this is the tallest. It is next to the Palazzo Pubblico and once served as bell and watch tower of town. The tower finished in 1338, took about ten years to build. Its clock was added several years later, and the bell that is heard today has been in the tower since 1666.
The fountain in the middle of the square was originally built to commemorate the building of water systems in Siena. The fountain is a symbol of Siena and a fine example of great Italian sculpture of the 15th century. The original fountain was replaced in 1858 with a replica. The statues of Rhea Silvia, mother of Romulus and Remus, and many others are kept in the Ospedale di Santa Maria della Scala. The Museo Civico houses other parts of the fountain.